Eurostat Structural Indicators
Life-long learning (adult participation in education and training)
Percentage of the population aged 25-64 participating in education and training over the four weeks prior to the survey.
Due to the implementation of harmonised concepts and definitions in the survey, information on education and training lack comparability with former years from:
2003 in CZ,
DK, EL, IE, CY, LU, HU, AT, SI, FI, SE, NO, CH and from 2004 in BE, IT,
- 2003 and 2004 in SK due to restrictions for self-learning
- 2003 in DE due to the exclusion of personal interest courses
- 1999 in NL, 2000 in PT, 2003 in FR, 2003 in CH due to changes in the reference period (formerly one week preceding the survey; additionally in CH: 12 months for vocational training instead of 4 weeks)
- EU15, Eurozone, EU25 consequently.
Due to changes in the survey characteristics, data
lack comparability with former years in IT (from 1993), PT (from 1998), BE (from
1999), FI (from 2000), SE and BG (from 2001), IE,
The EU aggregates are provided:
- until 1999, on the basis of the available country data
- from 1999, using the closest available year result in case of missing country data
Comparable data not available for US and JP.